Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Valentine Art Lesson - Special Needs

Valentine Art Sub Lesson for Autism and Special Needs







Today I taught a self contained class of first grade and kindergarten students who have autism.

When they first come into the classroom, we do a movement activity.  Today we danced to "Get Your Wiggles Out" that I downloaded from YouTube.

After that we went over to the work table.  Here are the supplies that I had ready.





I had prefolded and cut hearts out of 12 x 18 inch red paper.  There was a tray of torn colored tissue paper. I had folded acetate transparencies, but a cut open sandwich bag or wax paper would have worked.  We had glue sticks.


To prepare for the sub lesson, I prefolded  transparencies in half.  Then, to cut the heat shaped frames quickly, I folded each one in half then folded it in half again. That is when I cut the half heart shape that went through all four layers of the folded paper and ended up with two symmetrical heart shapes. 



The students rubbed the glue sticks one entire side of the transparency sheet.







They laid one piece of tissue paper at a time inside the folded transparency until they filled the entire sheet.

The transparency then got refolded and stapled inside the heart shaped construction paper.



After they were done, we took the "stained glass" valentines over to the window and enjoyed looking at their beauty.

Their art time is 30 minutes long and the activity took around 15.  With the remaining time we watched storybook videos and Disney song videos.

\

No comments:

Post a Comment